Senior Project Overview
The Fieldwork (Part 1)
1. Seniors must complete a detailed fieldwork plan for the entire 20 hours of fieldwork.
2. Seniors must complete a minimum of 5 hours of fieldwork related to the Senior Project topic.
3. Seniors must complete fieldwork logs for these 5 hours.
4. Seniors must find a mentor to guide them through their fieldwork throughout the year.
The Research Essay
1. Must be persuasive Must be a minimum of a 6 ½ to 8 pages, typed and double spaced
2. Must contain a minimum of 5 sources
3. Must follow MLA style documentation with parenthetical citations
4. Plagiarism will result in severe consequences. (See the plagiarism guidelines.)
5. The 1st and 2nd drafts must be completed, revised and resubmitted prior to final draft essay submission.
6. The research essay will be part of the Senior Project portfolio and the presentation and, therefore, must
be satisfactorily completed in order to pass Term 2.
* The research essay and fieldwork are worth ½ of the Term 1 course grade.
The Fieldwork (Part 2)
1. Seniors must complete a minimum of 15 hours of fieldwork related to their Senior Project topic.
2. The fieldwork must reflect personal and community value and achievement of a goal.
3. Seniors must present proof of their fieldwork at various times.
4. If a senior falsifies or does not satisfactorily complete and/or document his/her fieldwork, he/she will
not receive credit for the fieldwork and will also not be able to achieve a passing grade on the
presentation. This situation will prevent the senior from graduating.
1. Must contain all Senior Project documents, including: essay, fieldwork logs, and evidence.
2. Seniors must create 2 identical copies of the portfolio
3. The 2 copies must be submitted on the set due date or the senior will not be allowed to present,
resulting in his/her failing the Term 2 portion of the Senior Project.
1. Seniors must give an 8-10 minute presentation in front of a panel of judges.
2. The presentation consists of information from the research essay, an explanation of the fieldwork and its
relationship to the Senior Project topic, and a personal reflection on the experience.
3. Seniors must dress in a professional manner for their presentations.
4. Seniors should use technology during their presentations.
5. If a senior does not complete or pass the presentation, he/she will fail the Term 2 portion of the Senior
* All aspects of the Term 2 portion of the Senior Project are worth 1/2 of the Term 2 course grade.